150 years of painstaking research
- 1605 Marshal d’Estrées donates a manuscript containing the recipe for an “elixir of long life” to the Vauvert Chartreuse monastery in Paris.
- 1736 Marshal d’Estrée’s manuscript entrusted to the Grande Chartreuse monastery.
- 1764 Brother Antoine, working in the Grande Chartreuse’s apothecary, creates a health tonic that will later become Green Chartreuse.
250 years of distillation
- 1792 Following the French Revolution, the Carthusian monks flee into exile, not returning until 1816. They manage to save the manuscript and take it with them.
- 1838 The “health tonic” becomes “Green Chartreuse”.
- 1848 Officers of the Army of the Alps, stationed near the monastery, love the taste of Green Chartreuse and promise to spread the word about the liqueur wherever they go.
- 1852 Dom Louis Garnier copyrights the Chartreuse labels in order to protect them from counterfeiting.
- 1863 Distillation is moved from the Grande Chartreuse monastery to the recently built Fourvoirie distillery. Green Chartreuse was made here until 1935.
- 1903 The Carthusian monks take their recipe with them into exile in Tarragona, Spain, where Chartreuse is distilled until 1989.
- 1935 Production is moved to Voiron, following the destruction of the Fourvoirie distillery by a landslide.
- 1963 First “exceptionally prolonged ageing” (VEP) Green Chartreuse.
- 2010 Green Chartreuse is named “Liqueur of the year” by the British magazine “Drinks International”.